Astro Alert: Mars Retrogrades In Gemini•
Posted on October 07 2022
October ends with one of the year’s most important retrogrades: Mars, the planet of action and initiative, will appear to be moving backward through the skies until January 12, bringing an energy of rest, reflection, and reconsideration.
Think of it as a supercharged Mercury retrograde: the following months encourage us to solve past conflicts, make amends, tie up loose ends, and nurture our patience as we revisit the past to better prepare for the future.
Mars retrograde in Gemini:
October 30 – January 12
From August 20 to March 25, 2023, fiery Mars moves through Gemini, the sign of learning and communication, triggering our desire to know more and giving us the courage to tell things as they are. Spending about two months in a zodiac sign, Mars always turns up the volume of that sign’s energy. However, this transit is BIG: because he’ll be retrograde from the end of October to January (an event happening once every two years), Mars is spending more time than usual in Gemini. This transit marks a particularly active time in learning and communication, but it also brings an increased possibility of nervous tension, stress, or arguments.
Mars rules our instincts, our desires, and our ability to go after what we want. When he appears to move backward through the sky, this energy is turned inward: rather than being a good time to start something that requires self-assertion or courage, Mars retrograde prompts us to focus on what we have (or haven’t) already done. Similar to Mercury retrograde, he brings a blast from the past, this time revealing unresolved issues linked to grit, initiative, and self-protection.
A few examples: You bump into someone you had an argument with and you have to make amends. Something happens and you’re reminded of a project or an initiative that you haven’t completed in the past; you now have a chance to redo things. Out of the blue, you remember a past situation when you failed to assert yourself and you feel the need to do something to compensate for this past helplessness.
November and December bring an opportunity to tie up loose ends, bury the hatchet, and forgive ourselves for acting imperfectly or avoiding action in the past. With Mars in communicative Gemini, the unresolved issues that are now coming to the surface can be linked to speaking (for example, having said the wrong thing or having stayed silent when we should’ve spoken up), communication and learning (remembering a book you haven’t finished or an article you’ve been wanting to write for a while), or short trips and transactions (thinking of a nearby place you’ve been planning to visit or a purchase you’ve postponed). These are areas where we’ve got support to reconsider, replan, redo, and gain closure.
Similar to Mercury retrograde, Mars retrograde is not the best time to start something new, especially in the areas mentioned above. “Whoever initiates loses” is a mantra to remember during this transit: energy levels are lower and we might lack the stamina to launch a project. Delays or obstacles are more probable. If you do begin something new, having a backup plan and staying flexible can help. Continuing or revising something we’ve already started can be the better option, especially if it’s Gemini-related (linked to communication, education, tech, social media, or transactions). By the end of the retrograde, what we’re working on now is either nearing completion or (finally) picking up the pace.
So, if things don’t go as planned, trust the timing: there might be a deeper lesson to learn, a pattern to uncover, or a desire or initiative that you still have to refine before taking action. Especially when planets go retrograde, obstacles aren’t arbitrary. They can redirect us, tell us that we need to change the strategy, or prompt us to rest and recharge instead of always pushing forward.
When it comes to relationships, Mars retrograde can bring an extra dose of frustration. Because our productivity slows down and our ability to assert ourselves is not as good, we’re more prone to anger outbursts. Mars rules sharp objects and Gemini rules words: during the retrograde, a razor-sharp tongue could get us in trouble. If you’re tempted to start an argument or respond in kind to someone who loses their temper, remember: this is not a transit that favors fighting and winning.
Because Mars retrograde can remind us of past failures, many of us could act irrationally at this time, trying to compensate for missed opportunities. More than ever, it helps to have compassion and self-compassion, remembering that what seems to be an overreaction might carry the echoes of personal failures and disappointments. With active Mars in ever-curious Gemini, many of us could also suffer from nervous tension or information overload. Tech breaks can be a form of self-care. Writing or journaling can help us cope with stress or confusion at this time.
What To Do And What Not To Do During Mars Retrograde?
A few do’s and don’ts for Mars Retrograde in Gemini:
- Take the bait and respond to aggression, arguments, or sharp words. During Mars retrograde, the aggressor is the one who loses.
- Start a new campaign or file a lawsuit.
- Push yourself to do more. Energy levels are lower than usual and productivity is not our strong point at this time.
- Rush into something new. You might have to reassert yourself, change the terms, or reconsider your choice after Mars goes direct.
- Reconnect with an ex (partner, friend) that you’re no longer on the same page with.
- Allow sexual frustration to get the best of you: because Mars rules sex and desire, this transit can also lower libido or bring up past disappointments in this area.
- Compromise, especially if you’re dealing with past conflicts or emotionally (and verbally) charged situations.
- Rest, recharge, and take things one at a time. Trying to do everything at once or following a fast-paced rhythm can lead to exhaustion and frustration.
- Reassess projects, relationships, or plans for the future. Think about your priorities, connect with what matters, and stay open to uncertainty (you might need to delay clear conclusions until Mars goes direct).
- Reconnect with people from the past (especially sexual partners or people you’ve had arguments with) to make amends or gain closure.
- Think about how you express your anger, speak up, and assert yourself. Notice your triggers. Forgive yourself for past shortcomings and find healthy ways to deal with frustration and anger in the present moment.
- Contemplate your desires, your preferences, and your approach to sexuality and pleasure. With Mars in experimental Gemini, you can use this time to reflect or explore what you truly want.
Those of us with strong Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, or Pisces energy feel the influence of Mars retrograde the most, but all of us are supported to reassess our goals, end old chapters, slow down, and reconnect with our desires in the life area ruled by Gemini in the birth chart.
For Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, the following months will highlight the area of relationships, partnerships, and communication. Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn will have a chance to reconsider their professional and financial goals, while Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius will go through a process of refining their hopes, dreams, and creativity. Finally, for Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, Mars retrograde stirs up deeper emotions and encourages healing work, especially around self-assertion and anger.